Can I Buy Modafinil Online?
1st November 2021
Modafinil is a medication used to prevent excessive sleepiness. It is sometimes prescribed for people with narcolepsy, sleep apnoea, or those with a changing shift pattern that makes it difficult to get enough rest during sleeping hours. It can be addictive so is often prescribed for short periods only.
What is narcolepsy?
Narcolepsy is a long-term brain condition that can cause someone to fall asleep at random times, without warning or explanation. Narcolepsy UK believes that there are around 30,000 sufferers in the UK – around 1 for every 2,500 people, however people are diagnosed with narcolepsy all over the world.
A brain with narcolepsy is unable to regulate the body’s sleeping and waking patterns. This can result in:
- Feeling sleepy during the day - to the point that both concentration and staying awake is difficult
- ‘Sleep attacks’ – this is when someone with narcolepsy falls asleep suddenly
- Sleep paralysis – when someone is falling asleep or waking up, they temporarily cannot move or speak
- Cataplexy – temporary muscle weakness which can cause a possible collapse, usually as a response to strong emotions like laughter or anger
- Excessive dreaming and often waking during the night – dreaming as soon as someone falls asleep or just before waking up
What causes narcolepsy?
Most often than not, narcolepsy is caused by a lack of a chemical found in the brain called ‘hypocretin’. This chemical has a large amount of influence over sleep, arousal, appetite and energy patterns. The lack of hypocretin is believed to be caused by the immune system incorrectly attacking the hypocretin cells, or the cells that allow hypocretin to work.It’s important to note that a lack of hypocretin is not always the cause of narcolepsy. The exact cause of the problem is not always clear.
Other things that have been suggested as possible causes of narcolepsy include:
- Hormone changes, often seen during puberty or the menopause
- Large psychological stress
- An infection such as swine flu, or medication used to vaccinate against it
Can I take modafinil?
Like all medications, situations can arise which make modafinil unsafe to take. You must check with your doctor before taking modafinil if you have:
- Liver problems
- Kidney disease
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- A history of heart attacks
- A history of mental illness
- Experience with psychosis
- Previous history of alcoholism or drug addiction
One key aspect of modafinil is that it can make certain birth control methods less effective. If you take the following birth controls methods, we recommend talking to a doctor before taking modafinil:
- Birth control pills
- The implant
- Skin patches
- Vaginal rings
Does modafinil have any side effects?
Like all medications, modafinil does have side effects. However, most people do not experience any side effects at all whilst taking the medication.
Common side effects can happen in 1 out of 100 people. The side effects should alleviate once you have stopped taking the medication but if they do not, or if they are bothering you, it is best to speak to your GP.
- Difficulty sleeping
The following side effects are slightly less common and if they occur, it is recommended that you seek advice from a medical professional straight away:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Thoughts of suicide
Can I buy modafinil from EU Meds?
You can safely buy modafinil online at EU Meds. You will first need to have an online consultation with a pharmacist independent prescriber before you can buy modafinil. The online consultation will ensure that modafinil is the right medication for your medical condition.