Images for illustrative purposes only
- Diuretic medication for high blood pressure
- Reduces the fluid retention in your body
- Helps blood to flow more easily
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from UK Pharmacies
Bendroflumethiazide is a diuretic. Diuretics are sometimes known as “water tablets” as they help the body to get rid of any extra water via the kidneys by producing more urine. Bendroflumethiazide is often prescribed to treat high blood pressure and water retention.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Discreet and plain packaging
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Plain packaging with no medical stamps or marks
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
- Bendroflumethiazide is a diuretic or “water tablet”
- It is used to treat high blood pressure or water retention (oedema)
- Bendroflumethiazide is usually taken in the morning
- Bendroflumethiazide can sometimes cause nausea (feeling sick) or dizziness
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Bendroflumethiazide Work?
Bendroflumethiazide is a thiazide diuretic. It affects the way that the kidneys handle salt and water, drawing more water out of the blood into the kidney to be passed out of the body as urine. Getting rid of more fluid helps to both lower the blood pressure and prevent fluid retention in the lungs and peripheries such as the feet and legs. This can help to reduce painful foot and leg swelling.
How is Bendroflumethiazide Taken?
Bendroflumethiazide is a tablet that should be taken in the morning. It is best to avoid taking it at night, as this can lead to the inconvenience of needing to pass urine overnight.
The tablet should be swallowed with some water.
Dosage of Bendroflumethiazide
When treating fluid retention, the usual starting dose of Bendroflumethiazide is 5-10mg each morning. Occasionally, some patients are advised to only take the tablet every other day or three times a week.
When treating high blood pressure, the usual dose is 2.5mg taken every day.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Bendroflumethiazide can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Nausea (feeling sick)
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice. Other side effects are rare.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Bendroflumethiazide may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your doctor if you:
- Have liver disease
- Have kidney disease
- Have gout
- Have diabetes
- Have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus)
- Have low potassium or sodium levels on blood testing
- Have high calcium levels on blood testing
- Have Addison’s disease
- Have porphyria
- Have alcohol dependency or regularly drink more than 14 units of alcohol per week
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Some medications can interact with Bendroflumethiazide. You may be advised that Bendroflumethiazide will not suit you if you already take:
- Antibiotics including trimethoprim
- Medications for diabetes
- Medications for epilepsy or seizures
- Anti-fungal medications
- Other medications to lower your blood pressure
- Calcium salts
- Treatment for Parkinson’s disease including Levodopa
- Hormone treatments including treatments for breast cancer and the oral contraceptive pill
- Opioid pain relief
- Treatment for asthma or COPD including theophylline
- Treatments for cancer or a tumour.
If you are due to have a general anaesthetic, you should tell your doctor and anaesthetist that you take Bendroflumethiazide.
Because Bendroflumethiazide may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Bendroflumethiazide will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Bendroflumethiazide will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription, allowing you to pick the medication up at your convenience.