Imágenes únicamente para fines ilustrativo
Detrusitol is the brand name for the medication tolterodine. Detrusitol is prescribed to help with bladder symptoms including frequency and urgency of urination, as well as incontinence.
- Improves bladder control
- Reduces spasms that cause leakages
- Can delay the need to urinate
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
- Detrusitol is a bladder medication
- Detrusitol contains the active ingredient tolterodine
- Detrusitol is prescribed if you experience urgency of urination, find you need to pass urine frequently or have episodes of urinary incontinence
- The side effects of Detrusitol include a dry mouth and a headache
- Detrusitol can cause tiredness or changes to your vision, so you must not drive or use machinery if this occurs
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Detrusitol Work?
Detrusitol is prescribed if you have difficulty controlling your bladder. Urgency (a sudden, strong urge to pass urine), frequency (needing to go to the toilet frequently to empty your bladder) and incontinence (leaking urine before you get to the toilet) can all be distressing. Bladder symptoms can also have a big impact on your quality of life.
Detrusitol works by helping the muscular wall of the bladder to relax. This stops the sudden muscle contractions of the bladder, and helps the bladder to relax and hold more urine. This helps to alleviate the urgency and frequency of urination. It also helps you to control the release of urine, so that incontinence is less likely.
How is Detrusitol Taken?
Detrusitol is a tablet that should be swallowed with some water. The medication can be taken with or without food.
Dosage of Detrusitol
A common dose of Detrusitol tablets is 2mg taken twice a day. However, people with kidney or liver disease might be advised to take 1mg twice a day.
The effectiveness of the medication should be evaluated by a healthcare professional after 2 to 3 months.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Detrusitol can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Dry mouth.
These side effects often settle, but if they are persistent or troublesome you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Occasionally, people taking Detrusitol also experience:
- Blurred vision or tiredness – you must not drive or operate machinery if this occurs
- Indigestion or feeling sick
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Chest infections
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Pain when passing urine
- Tingling of the skin
- A fast heartbeat.
If any of these side effects occur, you should speak to a doctor straight away for further advice.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Detrusitol may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your doctor if you:
- Have heart disease or heart failure
- Have blood vessel disease or high blood pressure
- Have an unusual heart rhythm
- Have liver disease or kidney disease
- Have problems with your prostate gland
- Have glaucoma
- Have an overactive thyroid gland
- Have a hiatus hernia
- Have myasthenia gravis (a form of muscle weakness)
- Have any condition that could cause a blockage of the stomach, bowel or urinary tract
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to Detrusitol, tolterodine or any other medication.
Some medications can interact with Detrusitol. You may be advised that Detrusitol will not suit you if you already take:
- Certain antibiotics or antifungal medications
- Other muscle relaxant medications
- Certain anti-sickness medications.
Because Detrusitol may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Detrusitol will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Detrusitol will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription, allowing you to pick the medication up at your convenience.