Imágenes únicamente para fines ilustrativo
Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic. It is commonly used to treat acne and rosacea, although it is also prescribed to treat chest infections, urinary tract infections and sexually transmitted infections.
- Effective antibiotic
- Stops the growth of bacteria
- Reduces symptoms of acne
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
- Oxytetracycline is commonly prescribed to treat acne and rosacea
- Oxytetracycline is part of the tetracycline family of antibiotics
- The tablets should be taken on an empty stomach
- Common side effects include nausea (feeling sick) and abdominal pain
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Oxytetracycline Work?
In acne and rosacea, bacteria can become trapped in the skin pores, leading to painful, infected spots.
Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic that treats infections by preventing the bacteria from growing and multiplying. It does this by stopping the bacterial proteins from working properly, thus inhibiting the effect of the bacteria.
Some bacteria can invade our own body cells, which often makes it hard for the antibiotics to reach and kill them. Oxytetracycline can attack bacteria that works in this way, making it an effective antibiotic choice. By slowing the multiplication of the bacteria, the skin infection is brought under control, helping to reduce the occurrence of infected spots.
How is Oxytetracycline Taken?
Oxytetracycline should be taken on an empty stomach. You should take the tablets one hour before, or two hours after, eating food or drinking dairy products. This is because having food or dairy products in your stomach can prevent the oxytetracycline from working properly.
You should avoid taking oxytetracycline just before going to bed, as this can cause stomach or oesophagus irritation. For this reason, you may choose to take oxytetracycline an hour before your evening meal.
Dosage of Oxytetracycline
For acne and rosacea, a common dose of oxytetracycline is 250mg to 500mg taken once or twice daily. Treatment of these conditions often continues for at least three months.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, oxytetracycline can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Nausea (feeling sick)
- Abdominal pain
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice. If you develop a skin rash, you should speak to your doctor.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Oxytetracycline may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have liver disease
- Have kidney disease
- Have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus)
- Have myasthenia gravis
- Have porphyria
- Have oesophagitis (an inflamed oesophagus or food pipe)
- Are aged under 12 years
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Your prescriber can then advise whether oxytetracycline is a suitable medication for you.
Some medications can interact with oxytetracycline. You may be advised that oxytetracycline will not suit you if you already take:
- Vitamin A or a retinoid
- Medications for diarrhoea
- Anti-coagulants including warfarin
- Medications for heartburn or indigestion
- Penicillin and some other antibiotics
- Insulin and other medications for diabetes
- An oral contraceptive pill – you may need to take or use a different contraceptive when using oxytetracycline
Because oxytetracycline may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that oxytetracycline will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, oxytetracycline will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Oxytetracycline will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.