Bilder endast för illustrativa ändamål
Allopurinol is a medication that is taken to reduce the risk of gout occurring. Gout causes inflammation of the joints, particularly of the big toe. Allopurinol is not used to treat an exacerbation of gout, and your doctor may prescribe another medication (colchicine) if you should get gout whilst taking allopurinol. Allopurinol is also sometimes used to treat kidney stones and some enzyme disorders.
- Prevents attacks of gout
- Enzyme inhibitor medication
- Lowers the amount of uric acid in the body
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
What is Allopurinol?
- Allopurinol is taken to reduce the risk of gout
- Allopurinol reduces uric acid formation which helps to reduce the risk of an attack of gout or kidney stone formation
- Allopurinol is taken every day to prevent uric acid formation
- Allopurinol is sometimes known by its trade names Zyloric and Uricto
- Allopurinol can sometimes cause a skin rash
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Allopurinol Work?
Gout is an inflammatory condition that causes a build-up of uric acid crystals in the joints. The joint most commonly affected by gout is the big toe, although the ankle and other joints can also be affected. The crystals cause irritation that is extremely painful. They also cause swelling and inflammation. Allopurinol helps to prevent uric acid formation, reducing the risk of an attack of gout occurring.
If you have had several attacks of gout, allopurinol is often recommended to help prevent attacks from occurring again in future.
If you should have another attack of gout, you may need to take an additional medication called colchicine to treat the acute symptoms.
Allopurinol can also be prescribed to help to prevent uric acid from building up in other conditions including kidney stones and during some cancer treatments.
How is Allopurinol Taken?
Allopurinol is available in tablet form. It should be swallowed with a glass of water. Allopurinol should be taken once a day after a meal.
Try to take allopurinol at the same time every day, as this will help you to remember to take it.
What is the proper dosage of Allopurinol?
Allopurinol 100mg / 300mg
The usual starting dose of allopurinol is 100mg once a day. If this dose is too low to prevent an attack of gout from occurring, your healthcare professional may deem it appropriate to increase the daily dose. It can take two to three months for allopurinol to become fully effective.
A lower dose of allopurinol may be required for people who have liver or kidney disease.
Are there any side effects to Allopurinol?
Like all medications, allopurinol can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Skin rash – speak to your doctor if you get a rash, as even a mild rash could be a sign of an allergic reaction to allopurinol
- Changes to the production of thyroid hormone – your thyroid levels should be monitored by your doctor to check for any changes.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
What warnings does Allopurinol come with?
Allopurinol may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your doctor if you:
- Have kidney disease
- Have liver disease
- Have thyroid disease, either under- or over-active
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to allopurinol or any other medication
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Some medications can interact with allopurinol. You may be advised that allopurinol will not suit you if you already take:
- Warfarin or another blood thinning medication
- Amoxicillin or ampicillin
- ACE inhibitors such as ramipril
- Diuretics or “water tablets” such as furosemide.
Where can I buy Allopurinol online?
Buy Allopurinol for Gout
You can safely buy Allopurinol online at EU Meds. Because allopurinol may not suit everyone, we will complete an online consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that allopurinol will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, allopurinol will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription, allowing you to pick the medication up at your convenience.