May Bank holiday updates: Please ensure orders are placed early to allow time for delivery. Please note we are unable to ship to NI and Scotland.
Bilder endast för illustrativa ändamål
- Reduces redness and itching
- Treats skin conditions
- Genuine medication
- Sourced in the UK
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Clobetasol Ointment contains the corticosteroid clobetasol propionate. This steroid is extremely potent and must therefore be used sparingly. Clobetasol Ointment is sometimes known by its brand name Dermovate Ointment. Clobetasol Ointment is used to treat eczema, psoriasis, lichen planus, discoid lupus erythematosus and other skin conditions that have not responded to less potent steroid skin preparations.
Välj rätt medicinering
Starta din beställning hemifrån
Inga dolda kostnader
Läkemedel levereras till din dörr
Diskret och enkel förpackning
Snabbt och enkelt
Ingen tidsbeställning eller långa väntetider
Enkla förpackningar utan medicinska stämplar eller märken.
Din information stannar hos oss och privat betalning
Medicinering i Storbritannien
Recept utfärdade av europeiska läkare
About Clobetasol Ointment
- Clobetasol Ointment contains a very potent steroid and must be used sparingly for short periods of time
- Clobetasol Ointment treats skin irritation caused by eczema, dermatitis, and other conditions
- Clobetasol Ointment is often used in conjunction with other emollient creams to help keep skin inflammation under control
- Clobetasol Ointment can occasionally irritate the skin and may cause skin thinning
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Clobetasol Ointment Work?
Clobetasol Ointment contains a very potent steroid to help minimise inflammation.
When the skin is inflamed, the blood vessels dilate and inflammatory cells flood into the area. This leads to itching, redness, swelling and pain. Steroid ointments such as Clobetasol Ointment help to reduce these symptoms by dampening down the body’s immune response. The inflammation begins to resolve, and the skin feels less irritated and sore.
Clobetasol Ointment is often prescribed when other milder steroids such as hydrocortisone or betamethasone have not helped.
The steroid relieves the manifestations of inflammatory skin conditions, including:
- Dermatitis (skin inflammation with numerous causes)
- Dermatitis caused by an allergy
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Lupus erythematosus
- Lichen simplex and lichen planus.
Clobetasol Ointment can be used on the body or scalp.
How is Clobetasol Ointment Used?
Clobetasol Ointment should only be applied to the area of irritation or inflammation. Due to its potent strength, only a small amount of steroid should be applied at each application. Take note of your personalised instructions, as some people should apply Clobetasol Ointment more than once a day, whilst for others once is enough.
Steroid ointments are often measured in ‘fingertip units’. A fingertip unit is the amount of ointment you can squeeze onto the end (tip) of one finger. One fingertip unit of ointment is enough to cover an area that’s twice the size of your palm, so for a small area of inflammation you need to apply very little ointment.
Wash your hands first, and then apply the ointment in a thin layer. Gently smooth it onto your skin, making sure you cover all of the affected area. Wash your hands afterwards so that your fingers are not exposed to the steroid unnecessarily.
Steroid ointments are best applied to dry areas of skin, rather than areas that are wet or weeping. Avoid getting the ointment in any broken areas of skin or cuts.
If you have skin that is weeping, you may be prescribed Clobetasol Cream instead.
Dosage of Clobetasol Ointment
Clobetasol Ointment comes in a strength of 0.05%.
Check the instructions to see how often you should apply Clobetasol Ointment. You may find it takes a few days to notice an improvement in your skin.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Clobetasol Ointment can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Itching or burning of the skin
- Small white or red bumps on the skin
- Bruising of the skin.
If you are concerned about any of these side effects, you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Occasionally, after prolonged use of Clobetasol Ointment, some people will notice that their skin is thinner. Some people also develop stretch marks. The stretch marks may fade over time, but are likely to be permanent.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Clobetasol Ointment Warnings
You should stop using Clobetasol Ointment if:
- You get lighter or darker skin patches
- You start to feel very unwell with vomiting (being sick), dizziness, weakness, tiredness, mood changes, loss of appetite or diarrhoea – this could be a sign of adrenal gland problems
- You feel confused, sleepy, thirsty, hungrier than usual, pass urine frequently or notice that your breath smells sweet or fruity – this could be a sign of high blood sugar
- Your skin condition worsens, or you notice yellow fluid weeping from the skin – this could be a sign of a new or worsening infection
- You notice any changes in your eyesight.
Clobetasol Ointment may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your doctor if you:
- Have glaucoma or cataracts
- Have areas of infected eczema or a fungal skin infection – you may be prescribed a steroid combined with an antibiotic
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to a skin cream, ointment, or solution
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Some medications can interact with Clobetasol Ointment. You may be advised that Clobetasol Ointment will not suit you if you already use another steroid ointment or topical preparation.
Because Clobetasol Ointment may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Clobetasol Ointment will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Clobetasol Ointment will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription, allowing you to pick the medication up at your convenience.
Här för att hjälpa dig
Our Customer Service is available Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm. If you need urgent assistance, do not use this service. Call 111, or in an emergency call 999. Visit our help section