- Minocin MR
Images à titre indicatif uniquement
Minocin is a brand medication that contains the antibiotic minocycline. It is often prescribed for infections including skin infections. As acne can be caused by a bacterial infection in the skin, modified release Minocin can be prescribed to help clear up acne exacerbations.
- Tetracycline antibiotic to treat acne
- Easy-to-take tablet form
- Effective treatment
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
- Minocin contains the antibiotic medication minocycline
- Minocin is often prescribed to treat acne
- Minocin works by killing bacteria in the skin, helping to clear up whiteheads and blackheads
- Minocin helps to settle skin inflammation and aids spot healing
- Minocin can help to soothe sore or inflamed skin for improved comfort
- Successful treatment with Minocin may also help to ease any feelings of embarrassment or self-consciousness
- Minocin is available as a modified release capsule that works for longer within the body
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Minocin Work?
Minocin contains the antibiotic minocycline. The antibiotic is absorbed into the bloodstream and then begins to work on bacteria found within the skin. Minocycline stops the bacteria from multiplying, so that the infection is brought under control. This can help to reduce inflammation in the skin, and helps to treat spots caused by bacteria. Using Minocin can therefore lead to clearer looking skin that feels less irritated.
Modified release Minocin (Minocin MR) works for longer in the body, so that you may only need to take the capsules once daily to treat acne.
How is Minocin Taken?
Minocin is a capsule that should be swallowed with some water. It is best to take the capsules with plenty of fluid, while sitting or standing up. This helps to reduce the risk of irritation of the oesophagus (food pipe). The capsules can be taken with or without food.
Treatment of acne usually lasts for at least 6 weeks. If Minocin has not led to improvements in the skin within 6 months, it should be stopped.
Dosage of Minocin
Each capsule of Minocin MR contains 100mg of minocycline. For treatment of acne, a common dose is 100mg once a day. Try to take Minocin at the same time every day, as this will make the treatment more effective and will help you remember to take the capsule.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Minocin can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Feeling light-headed
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting (feeling sick or being sick)
- Ringing in the ears
- Increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight.
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Minocin may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have kidney failure
- Have liver disease
- Have alcohol dependence or regularly drink heavily
- Have SLE (lupus or systemic lupus erythematosus)
- Have myasthenia gravis
- Are aged less than 12 years
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Your prescriber can then advise whether Minocin is a suitable medication for you.
Some medications can interact with Minocin. You may be advised that Minocin will not suit you if you already take:
- Diuretics (‘water tablets’)
- Other antibiotics including tetracyclines or penicillins
- Vitamins or preparations that contain iron, calcium, magnesium, or aluminium bismuth or zinc salts
- Isotretinoin or other retinoids
- Warfarin or another anticoagulant
- Indigestion remedies
- Herbal or over the counter medications.
If you are taking the contraceptive pill, you should make your doctor aware. If you develop a stomach upset after taking Minocin, this could reduce the effectiveness of the pill and additional contraception may be required.
Because Minocin may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Minocin will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Minocin will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Minocin will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.