Images for illustrative purposes only
- Painkiller specifically for migraines
- Blocks the headache reaction in the brain
- Effective even at a late stage of a migraine
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Almotriptan is a medication that is used to treat migraines that occur with or without aura. It should be taken at the onset of pain, but does not prevent the migraine from occurring in the first place. Taking almotriptan when the pain starts could help you return to your normal activities more quickly.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
- Almotriptan is taken to relieve the pain of a migraine, as well as reducing any associated nausea (feeling sick)
- Almotriptan is a selective serotonin receptor agonist
- Almotriptan is often used when paracetamol and ibuprofen do not have any effect on migraines
- The medication usually works within 30 to 60 minutes
- Almotriptan is part of the triptan family of medications, which includes sumatriptan
- Almotriptan does not help tension headaches
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Almotriptan Work?
Almotriptan is a selective serotonin receptor agonist. It works on the receptors at blood vessels and nerve endings within the brain.
Almotriptan is thought to work in three ways to reduce the pain of a migraine once it has started.
- Blood vessel dilation (widening) is responsible for some of the pain of a migraine. Almotriptan causes constriction (narrowing) of the vessels within the head to reduce the pain of a migraine.
- Almotriptan prevents the release of neuropeptides that would cause vessels to dilate. This also reduces the pain associated with blood vessel dilation.
- The medication reduces the transmission of pain signals along the nerves within the brain, reducing your perception of the pain of the migraine.
These actions help to reduce the pain, so that you can get back to your usual activities faster.
How is Almotriptan Taken?
Almotriptan should be taken as soon as you first notice the pain or other symptoms of a migraine.
One almotriptan tablet should be swallowed with a little water. The tablet should begin working within 30 to 60 minutes.
If the headache eases but then returns after at least two hours, another tablet can be taken. If the first tablet doesn’t help, you should not take a further tablet unless your prescriber has advised you to do so.
Dosage of Almotriptan
One tablet of almotriptan contains 12.5mg of the active ingredient. No more than two tablets (25mg in total) should be taken in a 24 hour period.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, almotriptan can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Feeling sleepy
- Nausea or vomiting (feeling sick or being sick)
- Feeling tired.
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Almotriptan may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your doctor if you:
- Have ischaemic heart disease, have ever had a heart attack, have angina or Prinzmetal’s angina
- Have had a previous stroke (cerebrovascular event or CVA) or mini-stroke (transient ischaemic attack or TIA)
- Have peripheral vascular disease
- Have liver disease
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Some medications can interact with almotriptan. You may be advised that almotriptan will not suit you if you already take:
- Certain antidepressants
- Blood pressure medications including verapamil
- Another form of migraine treatment such as another triptan.
Because almotriptan may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that almotriptan will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, almotriptan will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription, allowing you to pick the medication up at your convenience.
Here to help you
Our Customer Service is available Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm. If you need urgent assistance, do not use this service. Call 111, or in an emergency call 999. Visit our help section