Images for illustrative purposes only
- Calcium channel blocker medication
- Relaxes blood vessels
- Effective treatment for high blood pressure
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Amlodipine is a medication used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). When taken for this reason, it can also reduce your risk of having a stroke, heart attack or developing other forms of heart disease in the future.
to receive your order
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Discreet and plain packaging
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Plain packaging with no medical stamps or marks
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
- Amlodipine is taken to manage high blood pressure
- Amlodipine works on the arteries to relax them
- Amlodipine makes it easier for the heart to pump blood around the body
- It can be used if you have angina (chest pain that occurs on exercise or exertion), as it improves the oxygen supply to the heart
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Amlodipine Work?
Amlodipine is a heart medication known as a calcium channel blocker. It has an effect on the cells that are found in the walls of the arteries, causing them to relax. This makes the whole wall of the artery relax and the artery therefore widens.
A wider artery allows blood to flow through it more easily. This in turn reduces the amount of pressure the heart has to exert to pump blood around the body. Overall, this reduces the strain that the heart is under.
As the muscles of your heart are supplied by their own arteries, taking amlodipine can improve the amount of blood, and therefore oxygen, supplying the heart. This can reduce the risk of chest pain and heart disease.
How is Amlodipine Taken?
Amlodipine comes in tablet and liquid forms. The tablets should be swallowed whole with a drink of water.
The tablets can be dissolved in water if this is easier, but you must drink the dissolved tablet mixture straight away.
Amlodipine can be taken with or without food.
It is best to avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice when taking amlodipine, as it can increase the amount of amlodipine in your body. This may also increase your risk of side effects.
Dosage of Amlodipine
Amlodipine tablets come in two strengths: 5mg and 10mg.
You might start on 5mg, increasing to 10mg if your blood pressure doesn’t come down enough or you still experience chest pains.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like most medications, amlodipine can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Swollen ankles
- A strong or pounding heartbeat.
These will often settle by themselves in a few days. However, it is wise to speak to a healthcare professional if they bother you or don’t resolve.
Very occasionally amlodipine can cause more serious side effects. You should call a doctor straight away if you experience:
- Abdominal (tummy) pain, diarrhoea or sickness
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes
- New or worsening chest pain.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Amlodipine may not suit everyone. That’s why you will be asked to complete a health questionnaire during your Consultation with EU Meds to check that amlodipine is suitable for you.
Amlodipine may not be suitable if you:
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive or are breastfeeding
- Have liver or kidney problems
- Have heart failure, or recently had a heart attack
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to a medication in the past.
A prescriber from EU Meds will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that amlodipine will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, you can order amlodipine online for home delivery.