Images for illustrative purposes only
- Stops excess cholesterol being deposited
- Protects the heart and brain from high cholesterol
- Reduces future health risks
- Genuine medication
- All drugs sourced in the UK
Atorvastatin is a medication taken to lower high cholesterol. It belongs to a group of medications known as statins. It can also be prescribed to prevent heart disease in some people.
to receive your order Wednesday 28th July
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Discreet and plain packaging
Quick and Easy
No need for a doctor’s appointment or long waiting times.
Your medical data will stay with us and will never be passed on to third parties.
Choose from our extensive range to find the order that’s right for you.
Medication dispensed from one of our partner UK pharmacies.
- Atorvastatin belongs to a group of medications called statins
- Atorvastatin helps to lower levels of cholesterol in the blood
- In people who are in a high risk category, atorvastatin is also prescribed to help prevent other conditions including heart attacks and strokes
- Atorvastatin usually only needs to be taken once a day
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Atorvastatin Work?
Cholesterol is a fatty substance. Atorvastatin works by reducing the amount of cholesterol that is produced and retained within the body’s blood vessels.
Reducing the amount of cholesterol produced helps to prevent cholesterol from building up in the walls of the arteries. This is important because having cholesterol in the arteries increases the risk of the arteries becoming blocked. When arteries become blocked, it can result in a stroke, heart attack, or damage to another organ in the body such as the kidneys.
Atorvastatin can therefore reduce the risk of high cholesterol, and some of its complications.
How is Atorvastatin Taken?
Atorvastatin is usually taken once a day. You can take it at any time, but you should stick to the same time every day.
The tablets can be taken with or without food as they are unlikely to make you feel sick. If you experience any nausea (feeling sick), it might be worth taking atorvastatin with food to see if this helps.
The tablets should be taken whole with a glass of water.
Dosage of Atorvastatin
Atorvastatin tablets come in a range of strengths: 10mg, 20mg, 40mg and 80mg.
The dosage of atorvastatin can vary depending on your cholesterol level and any other medications you might be taking. The usual dose is between 10mg and 80mg a day.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, atorvastatin can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Nausea (feeling sick)
- Aches and pains
- Cold-like symptoms including a sore throat, runny nose, blocked nose or sneezing
- Constipation, diarrhoea or wind.
Rarely, more serious side effects can occur. These include:
- Muscle pain and weakness – this could be a sign of muscle or kidney damage
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes, with dark urine (pee) or pale stools (poo) – this could be a sign of liver problems
- Cough and breathlessness – this could be a sign of a lung problem
- Skin rashes on the palms of the hands or soles of the feet
- Severe abdominal (tummy) pain – this could be a sign of a problem with the pancreas.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Atorvastatin may not suit everyone, including some people who:
- Have liver, kidney or lung problems
- Are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or breastfeeding
- Have had a stroke due to a bleed on the brain
- Have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
- Drink a large amount of alcohol
- Have a muscle disorder, including fibromyalgia
- Have had muscular problems when taking atorvastatin or another statin in the past
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to atorvastatin or any other medication.
During the Consultation with Eumeds, you will be asked to complete a health questionnaire to check that atorvastatin is suitable for you.
A prescriber from Eumeds will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that atorvastatin will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, you can order atorvastatin online for home delivery.