Betnovate Cream (Betamethasone)
Images for illustrative purposes only
- Steroid medication to reduce inflammation
- Treats eczema and psoriasis
- Soothes itching
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Betnovate Cream is the brand name of a steroid cream that contains betamethasone. It is prescribed to treat itchy, swollen or irritated skin.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
About Betnovate Cream
- Betnovate Cream contains the steroid betamethasone valerate 0.1%
- Betamethasone soothes itchy, dry, red or swollen skin
- It is often prescribed for inflammatory skin conditions including eczema
- It should be used sparingly as only a little is needed for effective treatment
- Using too much can increase the risk of side effects
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Betnovate Cream Work?
Betnovate Cream contains the potent steroid betamethasone valerate. It is often prescribed when milder steroid creams, such as hydrocortisone, have not had the desired effect.
Betnovate works by activating substances that are found naturally in your skin. These substances calm the swelling, itching and redness caused by inflammation.
The steroid relieves the manifestations of inflammatory skin conditions, including:
- Dermatitis (skin inflammation with numerous causes)
- Dermatitis caused by an allergy
- Lichen simplex and lichen planus
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Lupus erythematosus
- Reactions to insect bites.
How is Betnovate Cream Used?
Betnovate cream should be applied to the affected area of skin only. Very little steroid cream is needed, due to its potent strength. Follow your personalised instructions, as you may need to apply Betnovate once or more each day.
Steroid creams are often measured in ‘fingertip units’. A fingertip unit is the amount of cream you can squeeze onto the end (tip) of one finger. One fingertip unit of cream is enough to cover an area that’s twice the size of your palm, so for a small area of inflammation you need to apply very little cream.
Wash your hands first, and then apply the steroid in a thin layer. Gently smooth it onto your skin, making sure you cover all of the affected area. Wash your hands afterwards so that your fingers are not exposed to the steroid unnecessarily.
Steroid creams can be applied to wet or weeping areas of skin. Avoid getting it in any broken areas of skin or cuts.
If you have very dry skin, you may be prescribed the thicker, oilier Betnovate Ointment instead. The ointment helps to trap moisture in the skin, helping to treat any dryness.
Dosage of Betnovate Cream
Betnovate Cream comes in the strength 0.1%. This means that every 1 gram of cream contains 1mg of betamethasone valerate.
Use sparingly on the affected area only, and only use it for the specified treatment period.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Betnovate Cream can have some side effects. However, these are unlikely if you follow the instructions correctly. The most common side effect is feeling a burning or stinging for a few minutes when the cream is applied. This should settle after a few days.
Occasionally, after prolonged use of Betnovate Cream, some people will notice that their skin is thinner or that they start to develop stretch marks. The stretch marks will fade over time, but are likely to be permanent.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Betnovate Cream Warnings
You should stop using Betnovate if:
- You get lighter or darker skin patches
- You start to feel very unwell with vomiting (being sick), dizziness, weakness, tiredness, mood changes, loss of appetite or diarrhoea – this could be a sign of adrenal gland problems
- You feel confused, sleepy, thirsty, hungrier than usual, pass urine frequently or notice that your breath smells sweet or fruity – this could be a sign of high blood sugar
- Your skin condition worsens, or you notice yellow fluid weeping from the skin – this could be a sign of a new or worsening infection
- You notice any changes in your eyesight.
During the Consultation with EU Meds, you will be asked to complete a health questionnaire to check that Betnovate Cream is suitable for you.
A prescriber from EU Meds will review your current medications, including any other creams or ointments, to ensure that Betnovate Cream will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, you can order Betnovate Cream online for home delivery.