Images for illustrative purposes only
Domperidone is an anti-sickness medication. It reduces both nausea and vomiting (feeling sick and being sick). It is usually only taken when you need it.
- Reduces symptoms of nausea
- Helps the stomach to empty more quickly
- Also reduces bloating and vomiting
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
- Domperidone is an anti-sickness medication
- Domperidone reduces the risk of being sick, and helps to reduce nausea (feeling sick)
- Domperidone works best if you take it before a meal
- Domperidone is a short term medication that is usually used for up to a week
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Domperidone Work?
Domperidone works by encouraging the stomach to move food out into the digestive tract more quickly. It may increase the contractions of the stomach and bowel to increase movement of the food. This means that the stomach becomes emptier more quickly, reducing sickness.
You may notice that you feel less bloated and full, and any feelings of indigestion may settle.
Domperidone also blocks the action of certain chemicals in the brain so that the brain’s vomiting centre is not activated. This means you are less likely to feel sick or be sick.
How is Domperidone Taken?
Domperidone tablets should be swallowed with water. It is best to take domperidone before you have a snack or a meal. Wait around 15 to 30 minutes before eating after taking a dose of domperidone.
Dosage of Domperidone
Each tablet contains 10mg of domperidone. Most people will be prescribed one tablet up to three times a day. These doses should be spaced out evenly, with each tablet being taken at least eight hours after the last one.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, domperidone can have some side effects. The most common side effect is a dry mouth, although this is usually mild and will often resolve within a few doses. If the sensation bothers you, you could try sucking a sugar-free sweet or chewing a piece of chewing gum. If it persists, you may wish to get advice from a healthcare professional.
Rarely a serious side effect may occur. This could include:
- Your eyes or muscles moving in an unusual, uncontrollable way
- Difficulty passing urine (peeing).
If you experience either of these serious side effects, you must call a doctor straight away.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Domperidone does not suit everyone. It may not be suitable for you if you:
- Have liver or kidney problems
- Have an irregular heartbeat
- Have a pituitary gland tumour
- Have ever had bleeding from your stomach, gut or anywhere else in the digestive tract or bowel
- Are at higher risk of bowel obstruction due to conditions including Crohn’s disease or diverticulitis
- Weigh less than 35kg
- Have recently had an operation to your abdomen, including for a hernia or a caesarean section
- Are pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Have had an allergic reaction to domperidone or another medication in the past
- Are aged over 60 (as this may put you at a higher risk of experiencing side effects).
During the Consultation with EU Meds, you will be asked to complete a health questionnaire to check that domperidone is suitable for you.
A prescriber from EU Meds will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that domperidone will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, you can order domperidone online for home delivery.