Images for illustrative purposes only
- Calcium channel blocker medication
- Widens blood vessels
- Lowers blood pressure
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Istin is a medication prescribed to treat high blood pressure or hypertension. Istin is the brand name for amlodipine. When taken to treat high blood pressure, Istin can reduce your risk of having a stroke or heart attack in the future.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
- Istin is a brand name of a blood pressure medication called amlodipine
- Istin lowers the blood pressure by relaxing the arteries
- Lowering the blood pressure reduces the strain on the heart and can help to prevent heart attacks or strokes occurring in the future
- Istin can improve the blood supply to the heart muscle
- Sometimes Istin is used to treat angina (chest pain that occurs on exertion or exercise)
- You should not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit when taking Istin, as grapefruit can increase the amount of amlodipine in your bloodstream
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Istin Work?
Istin belongs to a group of heart medications known as calcium channel blockers. Istin works by causing the cells within the walls of the arteries to relax. This widens the arteries, giving a larger tube for blood to flow through. This improves the flow of blood and reduces the blood pressure.
With wider arteries, the heart does not have to pump as hard to push blood around the body. This reduces any strain on the heart.
Istin also improves the blood supply to the heart itself. With widened arteries throughout the body, the heart also receives more oxygen from the arteries that supply it (the coronary arteries). This can help to reduce chest pain that occurs on exertion (angina), and reduce the risk of serious heart disease in future, including heart attacks.
How is Istin Taken?
Istin is a tablet that should be swallowed with a glass of water. It is often taken in the morning, and can be taken with or without food.
Dosage of Istin
A common starting dose of Istin is 5mg once a day. If this is not enough to lower the blood pressure, the dose might be increased by a healthcare professional to 10mg once a day.
Some people will also be prescribed another medication to lower the blood pressure, in addition to Istin.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Istin can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Feeling flushed or hot
- Nausea (feeling sick)
- Stomach ache
- Swollen ankles
- Feeling tired or dizzy – you must not drive or operate heavy machinery if either of these occur
- A fast heartbeat, a thumping heartbeat or palpitations.
These side effects are likely to settle quickly, but if they persist or are troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Very occasionally Istin can cause more serious side effects. You should call a doctor straight away if you experience:
- Severe abdominal (tummy) pain, diarrhoea or sickness
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes
- New or worsening chest pain.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Istin may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your doctor if you:
- Have liver disease
- Have kidney disease
- Have heart failure
- Recently had a heart attack
- Have heart valve disease
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to Istin, amlodipine or another medication
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Some medications can interact with Istin. You may be advised that Istin will not suit you if you already take:
- Certain antibiotics including erythromycin or clarithromycin
- Antifungal medications
- Other medications for high blood pressure.
You should not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit when taking Istin, as grapefruit can increase the amount of amlodipine in your bloodstream. This in turn can lead to low blood pressure, tiredness or dizziness.
Because Istin may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Istin will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Istin will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription, allowing you to pick the medication up at your convenience.