Images for illustrative purposes only
Levocetirizine is an antihistamine medication that helps to relieve the symptoms of an allergy. This might include a runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, and skin rashes. Levocetirizine is considered a non-drowsy antihistamine, but in some people it may still cause drowsiness. Care must therefore be taken if you drive or operate machinery.
- Antihistamine medication
- Prevents the allergic symptoms of hay fever
- Soothes itching
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
- Levocetirizine is taken once a day to help relieve the symptoms of an allergy
- It can be used for allergic reactions to pollen, animal dander, dust mites or insect bites
- Levocetirizine can also be helpful for managing allergic skin reactions to soaps or detergents
- Levocetirizine is a non-drowsy antihistamine in most people
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Levocetirizine Work?
When the body recognises a substance as an allergen, it releases histamine. Histamine causes symptoms of an allergy such as a runny nose, sneezing, and itchy eyes. Levocetirizine is an antihistamine and works by blocking the release of histamine from cells. This in turn helps to minimise the symptoms of the allergy.
In the skin, exposure to an allergen, intense heat, or periods of exercise can lead to a skin rash called urticaria. Levocetirizine eases the urticaria to minimise the rash and soothe the skin.
Although levocetirizine is a non-drowsy antihistamine, in some people it may still cause drowsiness so care must be taken if you drive or operate machinery.
How is Levocetirizine Taken?
Levocetirizine is a tablet that should be swallowed with some water. The tablet can be taken with or without food.
It is best to take levocetirizine at the same time every day as this makes it easier to remember to take it. You may only need to take it at certain times of the year (such as with hay fever), or if you have been (or are likely to be) exposed to an allergen such as cat or dog hair.
Dosage of Levocetirizine
Each tablet contains 5mg of levocetirizine. The recommended dose for adults is 1 tablet (5mg) daily.
If you are elderly or have kidney disease, you may be prescribed a lower dose.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, levocetirizine can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Daytime sleepiness
- Dry mouth.
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Levocetirizine may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have kidney disease
- Regularly drink alcohol (alcohol consumption should be avoided when taking levocetirizine)
- Have had, or are at risk of having, urinary retention (being unable to pass urine)
- Have epilepsy
- Have galactose intolerance
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Some medications can interact with Levocetirizine. You may be advised that levocetirizine will not suit you if you already take:
- Another antihistamine or allergy medication.
Because levocetirizine may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that levocetirizine will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, levocetirizine will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Levocetirizine will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.