Images for illustrative purposes only
- Relieves UTI symptoms
- Cures the infection
- Works within days
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Nitrofurantoin MR is an antibiotic that is most commonly used to treat urinary tract infections. This includes infections of the bladder and the kidney. The MR in its name stands for Modified Release, meaning that each dose lasts for longer in the body.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
About Nitrofurantoin MR
- Nitrofurantoin MR is commonly prescribed for urinary tract infections
- Once you start treatment, the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, including fever, pain on passing urine, urgency and frequency of urination, will settle within a few days
- It can turn your urine dark yellow or brown. This is normal and will resolve once you finish the course of antibiotics
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Nitrofurantoin MR Work?
Nitrofurantoin MR is an antibiotic. It therefore kills bacteria to treat and stop an infection from worsening.
Once absorbed by the digestive system, nitrofurantoin is filtered out of your blood and into the urine. This is ideal as the antibiotic is concentrated at the site of the infection and can start to work. This is why nitrofurantoin is a great choice for most urinary tract infections, but not for other infections in the body.
Nitrofurantoin MR is a modified release preparation (MR). This means that the medication releases more slowly into the body, and its effects last longer. It also means that you will need to take the capsules less frequently than you would with a standard release antibiotic.
How is Nitrofurantoin MR Taken?
Nitrofurantoin MR is available as a capsule. For best results, the capsule should be swallowed whole with a glass of water.
Each capsule should be taken 12 hours apart at the same time each day.
Dosage of Nitrofurantoin MR
Whereas standard release nitrofurantoin might need to be taken three, or even four, times a day, the modified release preparation can be taken less frequently.
For women, the usual dose is 100mg twice a day for 3 days.
Men and pregnant women might be prescribed 100mg twice daily for 7 days.
Are there any Side Effects?
Nitrofurantoin can give you dark yellow or brown urine. This is normal and not a reason to stop taking the medication.
Like all antibiotics, nitrofurantoin can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Nausea and vomiting (feeling sick and being sick)
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling dizzy or sleepy.
Occasionally, more serious side effects can occur. You should call a doctor straight away if you notice:
- Tingling sensations, numbness or weakness – this could be a sign of a problem with the nerves
- Chest pain, breathlessness, coughing or a fever
- Severe headache
- Pale poo, dark pee and yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes - this could be a sign of problems with the liver or gallbladder
- Unexplained bruising or bleeding, including nosebleeds.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Nitrofurantoin MR Warnings
Nitrofurantoin MR may not suit everyone. That’s why during your Consultation with EU Meds, you will be asked to complete a health questionnaire to check that nitrofurantoin MR is suitable for you.
Nitrofurantoin MR may not be suitable if you have:
- Severe kidney problems
- Anaemia or a deficiency of vitamin B
- Have porphyria or G6PD deficiency
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to Nitrofurantoin or another medication.
A prescriber from EU Meds will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that nitrofurantoin MR will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, you can order nitrofurantoin MR online for home delivery.