Images for illustrative purposes only
- Reduces the amount of fat your body absorbs
- Helps you to lose weight
- Lowers overall body fat
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Orlistat is a weight loss medication that has proved safe and effective at helping patients lose weight. Orlistat works by blocking the absorption of some of the fat that you eat, so that the fat passes out of your body in the stool without being digested. This can help you to lose weight.
to receive your order
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Discreet and plain packaging
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Plain packaging with no medical stamps or marks
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
- Orlistat works by reducing the amount of fat digested
- It is taken with every meal, but only if that meal contains fat
- Orlistat should be taken in conjunction with a multi-vitamin tablet
- It is advised to reduce the amount of fat in your diet to avoid side effects and maximise results
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Orlistat Work?
Orlistat is recommended for people with a body mass index (BMI) over 30, or over 28 if you also have a medical condition that would be helped by you losing weight. This could include diabetes or high blood pressure.
Orlistat blocks certain enzymes in your body that would normally help your body digest the fat you eat. With these enzymes blocked, the fat remains in the bowel and passes out of the body in the stool. Whilst taking orlistat, it is best to reduce your fat intake to around 30% of your total food intake. If too much fat is consumed whilst taking orlistat, side effects may occur including flatulence, ‘wet wind’ or passing oily residues into your underwear, loose stools or increased urgency.
It is important not to relax your calorie-controlled diet whilst taking orlistat. Although orlistat helps people to lose weight, it will only prevent some of the fat you eat from being absorbed. It is therefore important to stick to a healthy diet and include physical activity for the best results.
How is Orlistat Taken?
Orlistat is taken as a capsule with each meal. The capsule should be swallowed whole with some water. As orlistat works to reduce the amount of fat absorbed from that meal, if you consume a meal that does not contain any fat then you do not need to take a capsule with that meal.
Orlistat may lower the absorption of some vitamins, so it is advisable to also take a multi-vitamin in conjunction with a healthy diet.
Dosage of Orlistat
The usual dose of orlistat is 120mg three times a day, to be taken with each main meal. If you miss a meal or do not consume any fat, then you can miss a capsule.
You can lower your fat consumption by choosing:
- Low fat spreads, milk and cheese,
- Grilling or poaching rather than frying
- Using lean cuts of meat
- Minimising the use of cooking oil.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, orlistat has some side effects. The most common side effects occur as a result of fat being passed in your stools. These include:
- Fatty, smelly stools
- Urgency to go to the toilet
- Oily spotting on your underwear
- Excess wind.
Most of these side effects can be minimised by reducing the amount of fat you consume.
Other mild side effects include:
- Mild abdominal pain and liquid stools
- Changes to your menstrual cycle.
Speak to your doctor if these do not settle or if the side effects cannot be tolerated.
Some people will experience an increase in infections including chest or urine infections. You may need a prescription for antibiotic treatment if this occurs.
Serious side effects include:
- Skin blistering
- Rectal bleeding
- Yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes
- Severe abdominal pain due to pancreatitis or liver inflammation
- Unexplained bleeding or bruising.
If these occur, speak to a doctor urgently.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Orlistat is not suitable for everyone. Speak to a prescriber if you:
- Take other tablets, for example cholesterol-lowering tablets or diabetes medications
- Have a history of kidney stones
- Use an oral contraceptive to avoid pregnancy
- Are pregnant or trying to conceive.
During the Consultation with EU Meds, you will be asked to complete a health questionnaire to check that orlistat is suitable for you. It is important that you are ready to commit to a low fat diet to minimise the risk of common side effects.
A pharmacist from EU Meds will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that orlistat will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, you can order orlistat online for home delivery.