We are back open! We are once again delivering our medications to your chosen address.
Images for illustrative purposes only
- Effective in preventing migraines
- Helps to reduce the number of attacks
- Suitable for regular migraine sufferers
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from UK Pharmacies
Propranolol SR is a medication that is commonly prescribed for heart disease, high blood pressure or to prevent migraines. It is thought that propranolol helps to stabilise the blood vessels in the brain, helping to prevent migraines from occurring.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Discreet and plain packaging
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Plain packaging with no medical stamps or marks
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
About Propranolol SR for Migraines
- Propranolol SR belongs to a family of medications called beta blockers
- Propranolol SR is a sustained release preparation, this means its effects last for longer in the body
- Propranolol SR is thought to reduce the frequency of migraines by preventing blood vessel dilation in the brain
- Like other beta blockers, propranolol SR can occasionally cause side effects including feeling tired, having a slow heartbeat, having an upset stomach, or noticing that your hands and feet are cold
- Propranolol SR is sometimes known by its brand name Bedranol
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Propranolol SR Work for Migraines?
Migraines are not fully understood. It is thought that the pain may be caused by dilation of the blood vessels in the brain. Propranolol SR helps to stabilise the blood vessels, preventing them from dilating and helping to prevent the pain of a migraine from occurring. The drug may also help to reduce any excitability within the brain, reducing the frequency of migraines.
Propranolol SR is also used as a treatment for anxiety. If propranolol minimises your anxiety levels, this can help to reduce the frequency of your migraines, too.
Unlike some migraine tablets, propranolol SR is taken every day to prevent a migraine from occurring, rather than to treat the symptoms when they occur. You may therefore also be prescribed a tablet to treat any migraines that you experience.
As this is a sustained release medication, you only need to take propranolol SR once daily for the medication to work all day.
How is Propranolol SR Taken?
Propranolol SR is a tablet that is taken by mouth. The tablet should be swallowed with some water and can be taken with or without food. Taking it with a meal may be helpful if you experience digestive side effects. It is best to take propranolol SR at the same time every day so that you don’t forget to take it.
Dosage of Propranolol SR
A common starting dose of propranolol SR for migraines is 80mg once daily. If this does not prevent migraines from occurring, then the dose may be increased to 160mg daily.
The maximum dose is 240mg daily.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, propranolol SR can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Feeling tired or fatigued
- A slow heart beat which may make you feel tired or lacking in energy
- Cold extremities
- Sleep disturbances
- Nausea or vomiting (feeling sick or being sick)
These side effects may settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Propranolol SR Warnings
Propranolol SR may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to this or any other medication
- Have heart disease or high blood pressure
- Have asthma or COPD
- Have an abnormal heart rhythm
- Have diabetes
- Are at risk of low blood sugar levels
- Have low blood pressure
- Have a slow average heart rate
- Have angina
- Have psoriasis
- Have myasthenia gravis
- Have disease of the arteries
- Have phaeochromocytoma
- Have liver or kidney disease
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Your prescriber can then advise whether propranolol SR is a suitable medication for you.
Some medications can interact with propranolol SR. You may be advised that propranolol SR will not suit you if you already take:
- Medications that affect blood pressure or your heart rate, including verapamil, amiodarone, nifedipine, digoxin and diltiazem
- Medications for diabetes including insulin
- A monoaminoxidase inhibitor for depression or Parkinson’s disease.
Because propranolol SR may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that propranolol SR will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, propranolol SR will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Propranolol SR will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.