Save up to 20% on selected medications. No code needed, discount applied at checkout.
Images for illustrative purposes only
- Contains steroids to reduce inflammation
- Opens the airways in the lungs
- Helps you breathe more easily
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Relvar Ellipta is a type of “preventer” inhaler. It is used to manage both asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It should be taken every day to prevent the symptoms of these respiratory conditions, and to reduce the frequency of exacerbations. Relvar Ellipta is the brand name, and the active ingredients are vilanterol and fluticasone.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
About Relvar Ellipta
- Relvar Ellipta is an inhaled medication that is used to treat asthma and COPD
- Relvar Ellipta is a “preventer” medication
- It should be taken regularly to prevent the symptoms of asthma and COPD but not to treat acute episodes
- In asthma, the inhaler helps to prevent asthma exacerbations
- In COPD, the inhaler helps to reduce the number of flare ups
- The active ingredients are fluticasone (a steroid) and vilanterol (a bronchodilator)
- Relvar Ellipta is prescribed for adults and children aged 12 years and over
- Relvar Ellipta is available in two different strengths
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Relvar Ellipta Work?
Relvar Ellipta contains a combination of a corticosteroid (fluticasone) and a bronchodilator (vilanterol).
Corticosteroids such as fluticasone help to reduce swelling in the airways by dampening down the activity of inflammatory cells in the airways, including mast cells and white blood cells. With the swelling minimised, it is easier to draw air into the lungs, making it easier to breathe and reducing any associated wheezing.
Vilanterol is a long acting bronchodilator. It relaxes the muscles around the airways, helping to open the passageways to make it easier to breathe.
This combination of medications helps to minimise the symptoms associated with asthma and COPD.
Some people feel an improvement soon after taking their inhaler. However, it can take up to two weeks before you notice the full benefit of taking Relvar Ellipta. It is important to continue taking your inhaler as prescribed, as stopping it increases the risk of your respiratory symptoms returning. You may also need a reliever inhaler to treat any flare ups of asthma or COPD that occur.
How is Relvar Ellipta Taken?
Relvar Ellipta contains a dry powder that needs to be inhaled so that it can start working in the airways. Relvar Ellipta should be taken every day to keep your symptoms under control. It is important to read the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure you get the full dose of the medications.
The following may help you understand how to take your inhaler.
- Sit or stand up straight to take your inhaler.
- Check the dose counter to be sure that the inhaler isn’t empty.
- Slide the cover open until it clicks.
- Check there is nothing inside the mouthpiece.
- Hold the inhaler horizontally without tipping it upside down. Tipping the inhaler could cause the powder to fall out.
- Check that you are not covering the air vents with your fingers.
- Breathe out gently and slowly away from the inhaler.
- Place the inhaler into your mouth and form a seal around the mouthpiece without biting it.
- Breathe in quickly and deeply, then take the inhaler out of your mouth.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds, or for as long as is comfortable.
- Breathe out gently away from your inhaler.
- Close the inhaler once you have finished.
- Rinse your mouth out with water to wash out any residual steroid.
Dosage of Relvar Ellipta
Two different dose inhalers are available:
- 92/22 contains 92 micrograms of fluticasone and 22 micrograms of vilanterol
- 184/22 contains 184 micrograms of fluticasone and 22 micrograms of vilanterol.
It is common to start on one inhalation of the 92/22 inhaler once a day. If this does not adequately control your symptoms, your doctor may recommend taking one inhalation of the stronger 184/22 inhaler.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Relvar Ellipta can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Chest infections
- Oral candida (thrush infection in the mouth)
- Nasal or throat infections or inflammation
- Mouth pain
- Throat irritation
- Change to the voice
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- High temperature.
These side effects may settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice. If you think you have an infection, you should speak to your doctor as antibiotic or antifungal treatment may be required.
Rinsing your mouth out with water after taking the inhaler can help to reduce the risk of oral infections.
More serious side effects are rare. They are more likely if you have been taking Relvar Ellipta or another steroid for a long time. The side effects include:
- Signs of an infection including high temperature, cough with phlegm or mucus, pain on passing urine (peeing), or mouth sores
- A round puffy face known as ‘moon face’ – this can be a sign of Cushing’s Syndrome
- Diarrhoea and vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss, tiredness, and dizziness – these can be signs of adrenal problems
- Blurred vision due to glaucoma or cataracts.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Relvar Ellipta Warnings
Relvar Ellipta may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have an allergy to any of the ingredients in Relvar Ellipta
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to any other medication
- Have a heart rhythm abnormality
- Have thyroid disease
- Have low potassium levels on blood testing
- Have liver disease
- Have diabetes
- Have galactose intolerance
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Your prescriber can then advise whether Relvar Ellipta is a suitable medication for you.
Occasionally, using a new inhaler can lead to worsening of your symptoms. If you notice shortness of breath, wheeze, or a persistent cough after taking Relvar Ellipta, use your reliever inhaler and contact your doctor straight away.
Some medications can interact with Relvar Ellipta. You may be advised that Relvar Ellipta will not suit you if you already take:
- Beta blockers
- Medications for HIV or AIDS
- Antifungal medications.
Because Relvar Ellipta may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Relvar Ellipta will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Relvar Ellipta will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Relvar Ellipta will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.