Images for illustrative purposes only
- Effective treatment for psoriasis
- Controls the excess skin patches
- Eliminates redness
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Silkis is the brand name of a medication that contains calcitriol. This ointment is applied to the skin to treat the symptoms of psoriasis. A thin layer is usually applied twice daily.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
About Silkis Ointment
- Silkis ointment contains the active ingredient calcitriol
- Calcitriol is similar to vitamin D, which is vital for healthy skin
- Silkis ointment is commonly prescribed to treat plaque psoriasis
- Silkis ointment can cause skin irritation, and should therefore be applied in a thin layer and only to the affected areas
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Silkis Ointment Work?
Silkis ointment contains the active ingredient calcitriol. This is similar to vitamin D which is essential for skin health. In plaque psoriasis (the most common form of psoriasis), red, scaly patches develop on the skin. This is because the skin cells are multiplying more quickly than normal. The patches can become sore and itchy, and some people feel embarrassed by them.
The calcitriol in Silkis ointment slows the production and multiplication of skin cells which helps to minimise the inflammation and scaly patches.
How is Silkis Ointment Used?
The ointment should be applied to the affected areas twice daily, once in the morning and once before going to bed. If you wash in the morning or evening, the ointment should be applied after washing.
You must wash your hands after applying the ointment, and avoid contact with the eyes. You should rinse the eyes if contact occurs.
Dosage of Silkis Ointment
Silkis ointment contains 3 micrograms of calcitriol per gram of ointment. It should be applied in a thin layer only to the areas of plaque psoriasis.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Silkis can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Skin discomfort or irritation
- Redness of the skin.
These side effects are likely to settle down. However, if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice as a different medication may be more suitable.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Silkis Ointment Warnings
Silkis may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have an allergy to Silkis ointment, calcitriol, or any other medication
- Are undergoing treatment to correct calcium levels, or are known to have an abnormal calcium metabolism
- Have kidney or liver disease
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Your prescriber can then advise whether Silkis is a suitable medication for you.
You must not smoke or go near naked flames when using Silkis ointment. Bedding and clothing that has been in contact with the ointment may also be more flammable than usual. Extreme caution is therefore advised for those using Silkis ointment.
Some medications can interact with Silkis. You may be advised that Silkis will not suit you if you already take:
- Diuretics (sometimes known as ‘water tablets’)
- Calcium supplements
- Vitamin D.
Because Silkis ointment may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the ointment will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Silkis ointment will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Silkis ointment will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Silkis will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.