Save up to 20% on selected medications. No code needed, discount applied at checkout.
Images for illustrative purposes only
- Reduces inflammation in the lungs
- Effects last for 12 hours
- Easy to use
- Genuine medication
- All medication sourced in the UK
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Symbicort Turbohaler is used to treat asthma in adults and children. High strength Symbicort might also be prescribed for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Symbicort contains a combination of two different drugs to help keep symptoms under control. Symbicort can be used as a preventer inhaler to prevent exacerbations of asthma, and also as a rescue treatment if your asthma worsens.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
About Symbicort Turbohaler
- Symbicort is an inhaler taken to treat asthma
- Children aged 6 and over with asthma may be prescribed Symbicort but only lower strength Symbicort Turbohalers are suitable for this group
- At higher doses, Symbicort can also be prescribed for COPD
- Symbicort contains the active ingredients budesonide and formoterol
- Symbicort should be taken regularly to keep asthma under control
- Symbicort can be used to treat exacerbations of asthma
- Symbicort is available in three different strengths Turbohalers
- Symbicort is used when less potent products have not been effective in controlling asthma
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Symbicort Turbohaler Work?
Symbicort Turbohaler contains two active ingredients, budesonide and formoterol.
Budesonide is a corticosteroid, a type of steroid. The steroid works to prevent asthma and COPD symptoms from occurring, by dampening down the body’s immune response in the airways. This keeps the airways patent so that it is easier to breathe.
Formoterol is a long-acting bronchodilator. This means it works throughout the day to keep your airways dilated (wide) so that it is easier to breathe. It can also help to reduce associated symptoms including cough and wheeze. Formoterol is also helpful when acute or sudden symptoms of asthma appear, as it can quickly help to widen the airways.
In combination, these two drugs are helpful for treating asthma and COPD when milder inhalers have not controlled symptoms.
How is Symbicort Turbohaler Taken?
Symbicort is a type of inhaler called a Turbohaler. You should take your inhaler regularly to keep symptoms under control, but you may also need to take it as a rescue or reliever medication if your symptoms suddenly worsen. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s information to ensure you take Symbicort Turbohaler properly.
Following these instructions will help to ensure you get the full dose of the medications.
- Unscrew and remove the cover.
- Keep the inhaler upright and then twist it at the base. You need to twist it all the way around and then back until a click is heard.
- Breathe out gently.
- Place the mouthpiece of the inhaler into your mouth, gently between your teeth, and close your lips around it to form a good seal. Do not bite the inhaler, and ensure the air vents are not covered.
- Breathe in strongly and deeply.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for around 10 seconds.
- Breathe out gently (away from the inhaler).
- If more than one dose is needed, repeat steps 2 to 7.
- Check the dose counter to ensure you re-order a new inhaler when required.
- Replace the cover.
- Rinse your mouth with water after taking your inhaler, as this may reduce the risk of a mouth infection occurring.
Dosage of Symbicort Turbohaler
There are three different strength Symbicort Turbohalers available:
- 100/6mcg contains 100 micrograms of budesonide and 6 micrograms of formoterol
- 200/6mcg contains 200 micrograms of budesonide and 6 micrograms of formoterol
- 400/12mcg contains 400 micrograms of budesonide and 12 micrograms of formoterol.
It is important to follow your prescribing instructions carefully to ensure you take the correct dose. Frequency of dosing is likely to be twice daily, but you may require one or two inhalations per dose.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Symbicort can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Oral thrush infection (fungal infection of the mouth)
- Feeling your heart racing
- Throat irritation
- Hoarseness or change in your voice.
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice. If you think you have a mouth infection, contact your doctor as treatment may be required. The risk of developing a mouth infection can be reduced by rinsing your mouth with water after taking your inhaler.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Symbicort Turbohaler Warnings
Symbicort may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have an allergy to Symbicort Turbohaler, budesonide, formoterol or any other ingredient in the inhaler
- Take any other medication for asthma or COPD
- Have an overactive thyroid
- Have diabetes
- Have phaeochromocytoma
- Have low potassium levels on blood testing
- Have heart disease including valve abnormalities
- Have severely high blood pressure
- Have heart disease or heart failure
- Have alcohol dependency or regularly drink heavily
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Your prescriber can then advise whether Symbicort is a suitable medication for you.
Occasionally, using a new inhaler can lead to worsening of your symptoms. If you notice shortness of breath, wheeze, or a persistent cough after taking Symbicort Turbohaler, use your reliever inhaler and contact your doctor straight away.
Some medications can interact with Symbicort. You may be advised that Symbicort will not suit you if you already take:
- Antifungal medications
- Medications for HIV or AIDS
- Beta blockers
Because Symbicort Turbohaler may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Symbicort Turbohaler will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, the inhaler will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Symbicort Turbohaler will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.