- Tabphyn MR
Images for illustrative purposes only
Tabphyn MR is a medication that is taken by men to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. These symptoms might include difficulty passing urine. Tabphyn MR is the brand name for the medication tamsulosin.
- Male-only medication
- Effective incontinence medication
- Modified release
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
About Tabphyn MR
- Tabphyn MR is a brand of the medication tamsulosin
- Tabphyn MR is used to treat urinary difficulties in men such as those caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate
- The symptoms of BPH might include difficulty passing urine, slow flow of urine or dribbling urine when you have finished passing urine
- Tabphyn MR prompts relaxation of the smooth muscles of the prostate and urethra (urine tube), improving the flow of urine out of the body
- Tabphyn MR is a modified release medication, so only one tablet needs to be taken each day
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Tabphyn MR Work?
Many men will experience the symptoms of an enlarged prostate as they get older. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate.
The prostate is near to the urethra (urine, or pee, tube), and as the prostate enlarges it can put pressure on the urethra. This makes it harder to pass urine effectively. Men may therefore have trouble starting to urinate (pass urine). They may also have a reduced flow of urine, dribbling of urine even after finishing urinating, and the need to pass urine more frequently because the bladder is not completely emptied. Men may find they have to get up several times in the night to pass urine, too.
The tamsulosin in Tabphyn MR works by relaxing the smooth muscles of the prostate and those around the urethra. This takes the pressure off the urethra, allowing urine to be passed more easily and more successfully.
The MR in this medication’s title means ‘modified release’. This means that the tablet continues to work for a sustained period of time, so that it can be taken just once a day with a long lasting effect.
How is Tabphyn MR Taken?
Tabphyn MR is a capsule that only needs to be taken once a day. It is recommended that you take the capsule after breakfast with some water, while standing or sitting (not lying down).
The capsule should be swallowed whole without crushing it or chewing it.
Dosage of Tabphyn MR
Each capsule of Tabphyn MR contains 400 micrograms of tamsulosin. One tablet should be taken every morning.
Because it offers prolonged release, the medication builds up into a steady state within the body to offer symptomatic relief all day and night.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Tabphyn MR can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Dizziness or feeling faint due to low blood pressure
- Problems when ejaculating (including no semen being produced).
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Serious side effects are less common but include:
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties – this could be due to a lung problem
- Yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes – this could be due to liver problems
- Unexpected bruising or prolonged bleeding – this could be due to a blood problem
Call a doctor straight away if any of these serious side effects occur.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Tabphyn MR Warnings
Tabphyn MR may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have low blood pressure that occurs on standing up
- Have liver disease
- Faint when passing urine
- Are sensitive or allergic to tamsulosin or its ingredients.
Your prescriber can then advise whether Tabphyn MR is a suitable medication for you.
Tabphyn MR is not indicated for use in women or children.
Some medications can interact with Tabphyn MR. You may be advised that Tabphyn MR will not suit you if you already take:
- Other medications used to treat benign prostatic enlargement
- Medications for high blood pressure
- Pain relief including diclofenac
- Certain antibiotics and antifungal medications.
Because Tabphyn MR may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Tabphyn MR will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Tabphyn MR will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Tabphyn MR will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.