Images for illustrative purposes only
Trimethoprim is an antibiotic. It is most commonly used to treat urinary tract infections (UTIs) including cystitis. It is sometimes also used to treat chest infections and acne.
- Effective antibiotic
- Kills the bacteria that causes UTI's
- Quick relief
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
What is Trimethoprim?
- Trimethoprim is one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics for a urinary tract infection
- The symptoms of a urinary tract infection include pain on passing urine, frequency and urgency of urination, and abdominal pain.
- Occasionally an infection can cause blood in the urine
- Trimethoprim is usually taken twice a day
- The infection will take a few days to fully clear, but you should start feeling better within one to two days
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Trimethoprim Work?
Trimethoprim is an antifolate antibiotic. It works by stopping the production of bacterial DNA, preventing the bacteria from multiplying and surviving. It targets bacterial infections in the bladder, helping to relieve the symptoms of the infection.
How is Trimethoprim Taken?
Trimethoprim is available as a tablet or a liquid. Tablets should be swallowed with a glass of water, and can be taken with or without food.
You can continue to drink alcohol in moderation when taking trimethoprim.
What is the proper dosage of Trimethoprim?
The usual dose of trimethoprim is 200mg, taken twice each day. The course will usually last for three to five days for women. However, a longer course may be required for men and pregnant women.
Some people are advised to take trimethoprim every day to prevent a urinary tract infection from occurring. In this case the usual dose is 100mg every day at bedtime.
Some women are at higher risk of developing a urinary tract infection after sexual intercourse. A one off dose of 100mg can be taken to prevent this.
Are there any side effects to Trimethoprim?
Like most antibiotics, trimethoprim can cause some mild side effects. These include:
- Nausea (feeling sick)
If these side effects don’t resolve, you can speak to a healthcare professional.
Occasionally, mores serious side effects can occur. These include:
- Abnormal heartbeat, chest pain or muscle weakness – these could be a sign of high potassium levels in your blood
- Serious skin rashes
- Headaches, fever, tiredness, pain when looking at a light and a stiff neck can be signs of meningitis
- Diarrhoea containing blood
- Diarrhoea lasting for more than four days
- Unexplained bruising or bleeding.
If any of these serious side effects occur, speak to a doctor straight away.
If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
What warnings does Trimethoprim come with?
Although trimethoprim is commonly prescribed, it may not suit everyone. To make sure it is safe for you, tell your prescriber if you:
- Have liver or kidney problems
- Have anaemia or low folate (folic acid) levels
- Have porphyria or another blood disorder
- Are trying to conceive
- Are pregnant.
Where can I buy Trimethoprim online?
Buy Trimethoprim for Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
You can safely buy Trimethoprim online at EU Meds. A prescriber from EU Meds will also review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that trimethoprim will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, you can order trimethoprim online for home delivery.