- Differin Gel
Images for illustrative purposes only
Differin Gel is used to treat mild to moderate acne. It helps to treat the spots and inflammation associated with acne, including blackheads, whiteheads, and papules (raised areas of skin tissue). Using Differin Gel can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, so you must take care when outside, and avoid using sunbeds.
- Effective acne treatment
- Reduces severity of spots
- Treats inflammation
- Genuine medication
- Sourced in the UK
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
About Differin Gel
- Differin Gel helps to manage mild to moderate acne
- Using Differin Gel can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, so it is important to protect your skin with sunscreen, and avoid sunbeds
- Differin Gel contains the active ingredient adapalene, a type of topical retinoid
- Differin Gel may be more suitable than Differin Cream for patients with oily skin
- Women should avoid getting pregnant when using Differin Gel
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Differin Gel Work?
Differin Gel contains adapalene. This is a derivative of vitamin A known as a retinoid. Retinoids are often used to treat acne as they increase the rate of skin cell turnover. As new cells are formed, they push their way to the surface of the skin. In doing so, a natural exfoliation process occurs so that the pores and sebaceous glands become unblocked. The sebum trapped within the pores and glands is released, reducing the formation of whiteheads and blackheads.
Adapalene also has anti-inflammatory properties, meaning that any areas of redness and swelling are often reduced, too.
Differin Gel can be used on the face, back and chest.
How is Differin Gel Used?
Differin Gel should be rubbed into the affected areas once a day. It is best to apply it at night time after washing your face (or back and chest) before going to bed. Only a thin film needs to be applied to the skin by gently rubbing it in with your fingertips. It is important to avoid the eye and lip area. Wash your hands after applying Differin Gel.
A review of symptoms by a healthcare professional should take place after 3 months to decide if the treatment should be continued.
To get the best results, if you wear make-up or cosmetics you should ensure you choose non-comedogenic and non-astringent products.
It can take up to four weeks of treatment to notice any change in your skin.
Dosage of Differin Gel
Differin Gel is available in a strength of 0.1%, and should be applied once daily before bed.
Differin Gel dries more quickly than Differin Cream, and may be preferred by patients who have oily skin.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Differin Gel can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Skin irritation
- Skin redness
- Sensation of skin burning
- Dry or peeling skin.
If any of these side effects occur, stop using Differin Gel for a day to see if your symptoms settle. If they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
You should avoid prolonged exposure to UV sunlight or sunbeds when using Differin Gel, due to the risk of increased skin sensitivity.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Differin Gel Warnings
Differin Gel may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding
- Have another skin condition such as eczema or psoriasis
- Have areas of broken skin
- Are likely to have prolonged exposure to sunlight (for example, if you work outside)
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to any other medication.
Some medications can interact with Differin Gel. You may be advised that Differin Gel will not suit you if you already take:
- Another form of retinoid
- Other medications for acne – you may be advised to only apply these in the morning.
Because Differin Gel may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Differin Gel will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Differin Gel will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Differin Gel will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.