Images for illustrative purposes only
- Relaxes an overactive bladder
- Effective treatment for urge incontinence
- Prolonged release tablets that work all day
- Genuine medication
- All medication sourced in the UK
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Lyrinel XL is the brand name for the medication oxybutynin. Lyrinel XL is prescribed to help with bladder symptoms including frequency and urgency of urination, as well as incontinence. Unlike standard oxybutynin which works for a few hours, this is a sustained release medication, with the oxybutynin working for 24 hours.
to receive your order
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Discreet and plain packaging
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Plain packaging with no medical stamps or marks
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
About Lyrinel XL
- Lyrinel XL is the brand name for sustained release oxybutynin
- Lyrinel XL is prescribed for urinary symptoms including urgency, increased urinary frequency and incontinence due to an overactive or unstable bladder
- The most common side effect is a dry mouth
- In some people, Lyrinel XL can cause sleepiness – if this happens you must not drive or operate machinery
- Lyrinel XL can be used in adults, and children aged 5 or over
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Lyrinel XL Work?
The oxybutynin in Lyrinel XL is used to treat the symptoms associated with an unstable or overactive bladder. This includes urgency of urination, increased frequency of urination, and incontinence. In children, it can also be taken to help treat night time bedwetting.
Oxybutynin works by relaxing the muscles of the bladder. It stops the sudden contraction of the muscles and increases the amount of urine that the bladder can hold. These effects help to improve bladder control so that urinary urgency, frequency, and incontinence are minimised.
How is Lyrinel XL Taken?
Lyrinel XL should be swallowed whole with some water. It must not be chewed or crushed. Lyrinel XL can be taken with or without food.
Dosage of Lyrinel XL
As Lyrinel XL is a sustained release medication, it is usually only taken once a day in the morning.
The recommended starting dose is 5mg once daily. If this does not improve symptoms sufficiently, the dose may be increased by 5mg each week until the maximum dose of 20mg is reached.
Children should start taking 5mg daily. The maximum dose in children is 15mg daily.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, Lyrinel XL can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Urinary tract infection (UTI or water infection)
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping)
- Blurred vision
- Dry throat, cough, or nasal irritation
- Abdominal pain, diarrhoea, constipation, or nausea
These side effects are likely to settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice. If you suspect you may have a urinary tract infection, you should speak to your doctor as antibiotics may be required.
In children, the most common side effect is constipation.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Lyrinel XL Warnings
Lyrinel XL may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have glaucoma
- Have myasthenia gravis
- Have urinary retention
- Have a gastrointestinal obstructive disorder
- Have severe ulcerative colitis
- Have urinary frequency caused by heart or renal failure
- Have porphyria
- Have kidney or liver failure
- Have Parkinson’s disease
- Have autonomic neuropathy
- Have gastro-oesophageal reflux disorder
- Regularly drink alcohol – this may increase drowsiness
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding – Lyrinel XL should not be taken at these times.
Some medications can interact with Lyrinel XL. You may be advised that Lyrinel XL will not suit you if you already take:
- Another anticholinergic medication such as amantadine or levodopa
- Antipsychotic medications
- Some antidepressants
- Metoclopramide or domperidone
- A GTN spray
- Some antifungal and antibiotic medications.
Because Lyrinel XL may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that Lyrinel XL will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, Lyrinel XL will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Lyrinel XL will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.