Images for illustrative purposes only
- Improves symptoms of incontinence
- Gives more bladder control
- Prevents leaking
- Genuine medication
- All medication sourced in the UK
- Genuine medication
- Shipped from EU Pharmacies
Tolterodine is prescribed to help with bladder symptoms including frequency and urgency of urination, as well as incontinence.
Choose the right medication
Start your order from home
No hidden costs
Medication shipped to your door
Quick & Easy
No appointment or long waiting times
Free Standard Delivery
Delivered to your home or work address
Your information stays with us and private payment
Prescriptions issued by European Doctors
- Tolterodine is a medication that is prescribed to treat an overactive bladder
- Tolterodine is sometimes known by its brand name Detrusitol
- Tolterodine is prescribed if you experience urgency of urination, find you need to pass urine frequently or have episodes of urinary incontinence
- The side effects of tolterodine include a dry mouth and a headache
- Tolterodine can cause tiredness or changes to your vision, so you must not drive or use machinery if this occurs
- It is important to read the patient leaflet for a full list of side effects and cautions.
How Does Tolterodine Work?
Tolterodine is prescribed if you have difficulty controlling your bladder. Urgency (a sudden, strong urge to pass urine), frequency (needing to go to the toilet frequently to empty your bladder) and incontinence (leaking urine before you get to the toilet) can all be distressing. Bladder symptoms can also have a big impact on your quality of life.
Tolterodine works by helping the muscular wall of the bladder to relax. This stops the sudden muscle contractions of the bladder, and helps the bladder to relax and hold more urine. This alleviates the urgency and frequency of urination. It also helps you to control the release of urine, so that incontinence is less likely.
How is Tolterodine Taken?
Tolterodine is a tablet that should be swallowed with some water. The medication can be taken with or without food.
Dosage of Tolterodine
Tolterodine tablets are available in two different strengths, 1mg and 2mg.
A common dose of tolterodine is 2mg taken twice a day. However, people with kidney or liver disease might be advised to take 1mg twice a day.
The effectiveness of the medication should be evaluated by a healthcare professional after 2 to 3 months.
Are there any Side Effects?
Like all medications, tolterodine can have some side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Dry mouth.
These side effects may settle down, but if they persist or become troublesome you should speak to your doctor for further advice.
Occasionally, people taking tolterodine also experience:
- Blurred vision or tiredness – you must not drive or operate machinery if this occurs
- Indigestion or nausea (feeling sick)
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Chest infections
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Pain when passing urine
- Tingling of the skin
- A fast heartbeat.
If any of these side effects occur, you should speak to a doctor straight away for further advice.
Serious allergic reactions happen very rarely. If you have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) including breathlessness, lip swelling or tongue swelling, call 999 immediately.
Tolterodine may not be suitable for everyone. You should tell your prescriber if you:
- Have difficulty passing urine or urinary retention
- Have glaucoma
- Have myasthenia gravis
- Have liver or kidney disease
- Have a hiatus hernia
- Have severe ulcerative colitis
- Have any condition that could cause a blockage of the stomach, bowel, or urinary tract
- Have an overactive thyroid
- Have prostate disease
- Have blood vessel disease or high blood pressure
- Have an abnormal heart rhythm
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to tolterodine, Detrusitol or any other medication
- Are pregnant, trying to conceive, or breastfeeding.
Your prescriber can then advise whether tolterodine is a suitable medication for you.
Some medications can interact with tolterodine. You may be advised that tolterodine will not suit you if you already take:
- Certain antibiotics or antifungal medications
- Other muscle relaxant medications
- Certain anti-sickness medications
- Medications to increase bowel activity.
Because tolterodine may not suit everyone, we will complete a Consultation with you including a health questionnaire. This will ensure that the medication will be suitable for you.
A qualified prescriber will review your current medications, including any herbal remedies or supplements, to ensure that tolterodine will not interact with them.
Once prescribed, tolterodine will be ordered on your behalf via electronic prescription. Tolterodine will then be conveniently dispatched from one of our partner pharmacies.