What is Zolpidem?
1st November 2021
Insomnia is defined as “persistent difficulty with sleep initiation, duration, consolidation or quality”. It has many contributing symptoms but the main crutch of it is the difficulty either falling asleep or staying asleep. Many people may only know insomnia as the trouble falling asleep, but even if you sleep through the night, consistently low-quality sleep can be classed as insomnia.
Can I take zolpidem?
Adults aged 18 and over can take zolpidem. Like all medications, situations can arise which make zolpidem unsafe to take. You must check with your doctor before taking diazepam if you:
- have had an allergic reaction to zolpidem or any other medications
- have experienced liver or kidney problems
- have been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis
- have breathing problems or sleep apnoea
- have ever had problems with your mental health
- have ever had issues with alcohol or drugs
- are trying to conceive
- are currently pregnant or breastfeeding
How do I take zolpidem?
Zolpidem tablets come in two different strengths, and you can find both at EU Meds. We also provide the tablets in two different packaging sizes – 7 and 14.
Your dosage will be determined by your doctor but usually a normal dosage is one 10mg tablet, to be taken around an hour before you go to sleep. However, if you’re over 65 years old or experience liver or kidney problems, then your doctor may suggest you take a 5mg dosage.
When taking the tablet, it’s recommended that you take the tablet whole (do not crush or break) and take it with water. Do not chew it or crush it in your mouth, you must swallow it whole. You can take zolpidem with or without food, that is completely your choice and does not affect the medication.
Does zolpidem have any side effects?
Like all medications, zolpidem does have side effects. However, most people do not experience any side effects at all whilst taking the medication. You are more likely to experience side effects if you take a higher zolpidem.
Common side effects can happen in 1 out of 100 people. The side effects should alleviate once you have stopped taking the medication but if they do not, or if they are bothering you, it is best to speak to your GP.
- Chest pain
- False sense of well-being
- Irregular heartbeat
- General feeling of discomfort
- Unexplained irritability
- Lack of appetite
- Loss of interest in most activities
- Difficultly concentrating
- Poor muscle control
The following side effects are slightly less common and if they occur, it is recommended that you seek advice from a medical professional straight away:
- Random falling over
Other Types of Sleep Medication
There are other types of sleep medication which may be prescribed by your doctor if you are having trouble getting a good night rest. These include diazepam and zopiclone. You can safely buy Diazepam here at EU Meds, as well as purchase Zopiclone.
Medications that can interfere with zolpidem
Certain medications can negatively interfere with zolpidem. This increases your chances of experiencing side effects, particularly the drowsiness effect from zolpidem.
We recommend that you speak to a doctor before starting zolpidem, if you take any of the following:
- Drowsy antihistamines
- Medication to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- Medication to treat depression
- Medication for epilepsy
- Medication to calm or reduce anxiety
- Medication for sleep problems
- Medication used to treat fungal infections
- Medication used to treat HIV infections
- Strong painkillers (such as codeine, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, pethidine or tramadol)
Can I buy zolpidem from EU Meds?
You can safely buy zolpidem online at EU Meds. You will first need to have an online consultation with a pharmacist independent prescriber before you can buy zolpidem. The online consultation will ensure that zolpidem is the right medication for your medical condition.